1. Click the Magnifying Glass in the upper right hand corner of your Mac OS X Desktop,
2. Type Terminal into the Spotlight,
3. Select Terminal from the list. Open Terminal Mac OS X
From the Terminal Window that opens,
1. Type cd desktop and press Enter/Return,
2. Type touch new_file.txt and press Enter/Return,
3. You should now see the new_file.txt file on your desktop. Make a new text file on a Mac OS X
Additional Notes: Using cd, you can change to any directory (doesn't have to be desktop). You can use touch to create a new file named whatever you want (doesn't have to be named newfile,txt).